Vitamin C Overdose


Fill out your e-mail address
to receive our newsletter!

Symptoms of Vitamin C Overdose

Vitamin C is a water-soluble, antioxidant vitamin. It helps in forming collagen, a protein that gives structure to bones, cartilage, muscle, and blood vessels. Vitamin C also aids in the absorption of iron, and helps maintain capillaries, bones, and teeth.

Vitamin C is also called ascorbic acid. Unlike most animals, humans cannot produce it themselves and
therefore depends on external supply. Vitamin C is found in many fruits and vegetables, especially in bell
peppers, broccoli, papaya, kiwi, strawberries and citrus fruit, but also in potatoes. Vitamin C is measured
in milligrams.

Symptoms and causes of Overdose:

The overdose of vitamin C, may leads to the conditions of headache, increased urination, flushed face, nausea or vomiting, lower abdominal cramps, diarrhea. May feel like the flu or common cold.

Using Vitamin C products beyond recommended the limits may cause stomachaches and diarrhea. Even though the body would only use as much as it needs of the vitamin, Vitamin C Overdose can hinder metabolic activities in the body.

An overdose of ascorbic acid is not likely to be dangerous. If you suspect and overdose, call a doctor or a poison control center for advice. The recommended dietary allowance for Vitamin C in nonsmoking adults is 75 mg per day for women and 90 mg per day for men. For smokers, the recommended dietary allowances are 110 mg per day for women and 125 mg per day for men. A dose of 200 milligrams daily is almost enough to maximize plasma and lymphocyte levels.

Higher levels of Vitamin C are needed when under environmental stress such as trauma, fever or infection. Full saturation is reached with daily intakes of 200-500 mg per day. This is a water-soluble protein, and anything in excess is excreted by the body. Vitamin C Overdose can cause diarrhea, gas, or stomach upset.

The side effects could be stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea, and an increased risk of developing kidney stones. Large amounts of Vitamin C reduce body levels of copper, an essential nutrient. People with iron overload diseases must avoid Vitamin C Overdose, as it increases iron absorption. Special medical advice must be taken by individuals who have kidney stones.

Vitamin C can promote the excretion of heavy metals, for example mercury and lead. Vitamin C works against cancer. Nitrates get into our bodies through drinking water and processed foods. Vitamin C prevents them from being turned into nitrosamines which are carcinogenic.

An overdose of vitamin C can lead to sickness and flatulence. Vitamin C can interact with
anticoagulants (blood thinners) and weaken their effect. Since oxalic acid is a by product of vitamin C
metabolism, it has been conjectured that supplementing vitamin C could lead to kidney stone formation.
This could not be verified for healthy people, however. People with gout or a family history of kidney
stone formation should however consult with a medical doctor before taking large doses of vitamin C.

Effect of Overdose: This Vitamin is water soluble. The body does not store it to any great extent. Excess amounts are readily removed through urine. Thus for healthy people, this is pretty safe in any reasonable quantity. No medical harm is reported from any overdose.

Supplements | Weight Loss, Gain & Fat Burners | Exercise | Weight Lifting | Diet & Nutrition | Bodybuilding Equipment | Injuries



Copyright © 2004 by All Rights Reserved.