Home :: Bodybuilding Exercise :: Arms :: Barbell Curl
Biceps brachii, Brachialis.
Also used Brachioradialis.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Hold a barbell with your hands shoulder width apart, palms facing forwards.
- The bar should rest against your thighs and your arms should be fully extended.
- Bend your elbows as you curl the bar up in a smooth arc towards your shoulders. Keep your upper arms fixed by the sides of your body.
- Hold for a count of two; then slowly lower the bar back to the starting position.
- Do not move your upper arms or elbows at any point of the movement.
- Keep your body absolutely still- make sure you do not lean back or swing the bar up as this will strain the back and reduce the work on the biceps.
- Keep your wrists locked.
- Lower the bar under control until your' arms are fully extended shortening or' rushing the downwards phase will reduce the effectiveness of the exercise.
Arm curls can be performed using an EZ-bar instead of a straight bar. This reduces the stress on the wrists, although it puts the biceps in a biomechanically weaker position so they receive less stimulation.
Wide grip curl
Using a grip slightly wider than shoulder. width apart places more emphasis on the inner head of the biceps.
Narrow grip curl
Using a grip slightly narrower than shoulder. width apart places more emphasis on the outer head of the biceps.
Other exercises for your arm Workouts.
Incline Dumbbell Curl.
Lying Triceps Extention.
Copyright © 2004 by Bodybuilding4u.com. All Rights Reserved.
Tips on How to do Barbell Curl.