Home :: Bodybuilding Exercise :: Legs, Hips and glutes :: Dead Lift
Deadlift - Exercese technique and some training tips
Deadlift Targets Following Muscles:
glutes, Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Hip flexors, Lower back, Adductors, Latissimus dorsi, Trapezius, Abdominals.
Romanian Deadlift is a fundamental exercise for treasing overall mass, strength and power in both the the lower and upper body. Like squats, it a maximum stimulation movement.
Starting Position for performing Deadlift
- Stand in front of the barbell with your feet parallel and shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your legs until your hips and knees " are at the same level, keeping your rib cage up and your head level. Your back should be straight, at a 45° angle to the floor.
- Grasp the bar, with your hands just over shoulder-width apart, one overhand, the other under. This will facilitate better balance and keep the barbell in the same plane.
The Movement during Romanian Deadlift - The Deadlift technique
- Using the power of your legs and hips, and keeping your arms straight, lift the bar from the floor until your legs are straight. The bar should be against the upper part of your thighs. Hold for a count of one.
- Slowly return the bar to the floor, keeping your torso erect, arms straight and head up, eyes looking forwards. Your chest should be slightly forwards and over the bar.
Deadlift Training Tips
- Keep your back straight - i.e. in its normal position - throughout the movement. Do not lean forwards.
- Keep the bar as close as possible to your legs throughout the movement.
- Make sure your knees travel in line with your toes - do not allow them to travel inwards.
Variations of Deadlift
On a Block
Stand on a low, sturdy block or platform so that the bar is at the same level as your feet. This increases the range of motion and therefore it benefits your body more.
Setup for Romanian Deadlift:Stand and hold a barbell with a shoulder-with overhand grip. YOur feet should be hip-with apart toes pointed ahead, legs straight. Dont lock your knees.
Movement during Romanian Deadlit: Slide the bar down the front of your thighs by pressing your glutes back and hinging forward at the hips. Keep your spine in a neutral position until the bar is a few inches below your kneecaps (or whatever's comfortable). If you begin to round your back, you've gone too low.
Return to the start position by pressing your hips forward and squeezing your glutes.
Other Exercises for your Legs, hips and glutes Workouts.
Front Lunge (dumbbell or barbell).
Lying Leg Curl.
Standing Calf Raise.
One-leg Dumbell Calf Raise.
Leg Press Machine Calf Press.