Home :: Bodybuilding Exercise :: Legs, Hips and glutes :: Standing Calf Raise
Machine Standing Calf Raise
Machine Standing Calf Raise Targets Following Muscles:
This is perhaps the best exercise for overall development of the calves.
Starting Position for Machine Standing Calf Raise
- Place your shoulders under the pads of a standing calf raise machine, or place a barbell across the back of your shoulders.
- Step on to the platform or, if you are using a barbell, use a step or block. Allow your heels to hang off the edge.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and
pointing directly ahead.
- Straighten your legs as you lift the selected
weight clear of the rest of the stack.
The Movements of Machine Standing Calf Raise
- Rise up on your toes as high as possible.
- Hold the fully contracted position for a count of two; then slowly lower your heels down as far as they will go.
Tips and Tricks for performing Machine Standing Calf Raise
- Keep your legs straight throughout the movement to keep maximal emphasis on the calves and reduce the involvement of the quadriceps.
- Stretch your calves fully at the bottom of the movement - your heels should be lower than your toes.
- Do not bounce up from the bottom - keep
the movement smooth and continuous.
- Keep your body straight - do not hunch.
Variations of Machine Standing Calf Raise
Toes pointing out
Angling your feet outwards at 45° places more emphasis on the inner part of the calves.
Toes pointing in
Angling your feet inwards at 45° places more emphasis on the outer part of the calves.
Smith machine calf raise
Place your shoulders under the bar of a Smith machine and step on to a low platform or block with your heels hanging off the edge. Perform the calf raise as above.
Other Exercises for your Legs, hips and glutes Workouts.
Front Lunge (dumbbell or barbell).
Lying Leg Curl.
Straight-leg Dead Lift.
One-leg Dumbell Calf Raise.
Leg Press Machine Calf Press.